Renovation planning guide
You want a new room– what to think about ahead of time
- In one column, put your wants and in the other column, your needs. When faced with tough choices down the line, you’ll have a clearer picture of your priorities—what has to happen now and what can wait.
- What do you want out of the room? What is the feeling you want to have when you walk in? Do you want clean lines, or comforting? What is the overall concept you want?
- Window shop! Start a Pinterest account and scour the web – HGTV.com is a good start! Consult an architect (we have one!).
- Before you meet with a contractor, you’ll need a ballpark of what you can spend—then both of you will be able to talk honestly about what’s possible.
- What is your timeline for the renovation? Give yourself time for time-sensitive remodels (for example, if you want that family room in the basement for Christmas holidays, don’t wait until November!).
- Examine fine print of the contract so there are no surprises. If you have a lawyer, have him/her check it over.